Whether riding is a hobby or your way of life, motorcycles can be a practical and fun way to get around in Texas – but sometimes bad things can happen when you’re out on the road. In the event of a crash, motorcyclists and their passengers have little protection and are by far more vulnerable compared to those driving inside enclosed cars, SUVs, and trucks. Even wearing a helmet and other safety gear might not prevent you from sustaining a serious or debilitating injury. Seek legal advice from a seasoned motorcycle accident lawyer.
Statistics in Texas
Over roughly the past decade, registered motorcycles in Texas have more than doubled in number, the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) reports. The bad news: Motorcycle accidents in the state have gone up as well.
According to TxDOT’s most recent statistics, over the course of one year:
· 463 motorcycle riders died in crashes (430 drivers and 33 passengers)
· 2,022 motorcycle riders suffered incapacitating injuries (1,822 drivers and 200 passengers).
What Should You Do After A Motorcycle Accident?
The steps you take immediately after a motorcycle crash will go a long way towards protecting your right to a maximum recovery in your case. Our motorcycle accident attorneys suggest that you:
· Contact motorcycle accident lawyer – they can get to work right away on preserving evidence, dealing with insurance companies and taking action to seek just compensation for your physical, mental and financial harm.
· Don’t talk to anyone about your crash – Tell the insurance companies to call your lawyer, not you. Anything you say can be used against you by the insurer in an attempt to minimize or deny your motorcycle accident claim. It is also a good idea to stay away from speaking to others about the crash or discussing it on social media.
· Get medical help right away – Motorcycle accident victims can suffer severe injuries. After your initial treatment, make sure to get evaluated and treated by a specialist and follow your recommended care plan
· Keep everything – Save the police accident report, pictures of your motorcycle and the accident scene, medical bills, motorcycle repair bills and letters from the insurance company.
What Happens In A Motorcycle Accident Claim Or Lawsuit?
A motorcycle accident lawyer can skillfully guide you through the process of a claim and, if needed, a lawsuit.
· Assist you in getting the medical help you need – Motorcyclists are not protected by the frame of a car. As a result, they can suffer severe head, neck, back, arm and leg injuries. We will help you find the right doctor for your specific injury. If you are not covered by health insurance, your lawyer can work with the doctors to arrange for alternative payment methods.
· File claims to repair or replace your motorcycle – Getting the damage to your bike fixed or finding a new motorcycle may be your immediate concern. Your lawyer can handle that aspect of the case for you so you can get back on the road as soon as you are physically and mentally ready.
· Investigating your crash – your motorcycle accident lawyer can obtain and review the police report, analyze the accident scene, study crash photos and interview witnesses. They can also consult with accident reconstruction experts who can explain why your motorcycle accident occurred and who was responsible for it.
· File a lawsuit in the proper court – If your case cannot be settled without litigation, your lawyer can file a lawsuit in the right venue and begin litigating your case. If needed, they can seek court orders to require the vehicle driver to provide information that he or she may be withholding.
· Negotiate a settlement or go to court – lawyers prepare all our cases for trial. This gives them an advantage when seeking a settlement from the insurance company. The lawyer can be aggressive at the negotiation table and persuasive in the courtroom if a trial is needed.
· Collect your verdict or settlement – Even after a settlement is reached or a verdict is returned, steps must be taken to collect what you are owed. Your motorcycle accident lawyer will work diligently to collect and disburse the funds you are owed as quickly as possible so that you and your family can move on with your life.